Saturday, February 25, 2012

Pot of Coffee Flowers

I have developed an addiction to Pinterest......but I don't just look at the things on there, I have actually tried some of them. I have made homemade fabric softener, cooked recipes, made homemade vanilla extract, and all sorts of stuff. But this time, I got an idea all of my own! A Pinterest pin inspired me, but for the life of me I can't find it! It was a flower pot with those little airplane liquor bottles made into flowers tied onto dowel rods. I didn't pin it because we aren't that into alcohol, but I was inspired nonetheless! If I do find it, I will insert the link! But, one day I looked at the little coffee pods that go into my fancy coffee maker and said, "Hey, those would be the perfect middles for flowers!" So my idea was born! Here is what I did for my lovely friends', Karen and Vicki, birthdays:

 You just need some your favorite coffee pods, terracotta pot (any size you want!), mine is a 5", red tissue paper, filler paper, plastic spoons(for the stems), your hot glue gun, and a few pipe cleaners, otherwise known as chenille stems. I made the Vanilla Coffee Syrup from this site (of course, found on pinterest), put it in a pretty bottle and decoupaged the label on.
http://www.pauladeen.com/recipes/recipe_view/vanilla_coffee_syrup/  Gotta love Paula Deen!

I glued the coffee pods onto the ends of the spoons. It will come of pretty easily, I tried it!


 Then wrapped the paper around the pods to make "flowers" using a two inch piece of the "chenille stems". My picture doesn't do it justice, because I have an old, decrepit camera!


I also made some little leaves from green paper and glued them on. Afterwards I arranged them all "artfully" (well, as artfully as is possible for me) into the terracotta pot with some extra tissue paper, and VIOLA! Cute, inexpensive gift!!I had most things on hand! If I wanted to get extra fancy I could have included some vanilla sugar, too, but I was out of vanilla beans....sigh! I have given the gifts and they LOVED them! I'm still trying to decide if I want to pin this to Pinterest.....my friends think I should, we shall see! Let me know how yours turn out!

Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment